Greg Isola, genealogist
Genealogy and technology have been my dual interests for decades.
In business, I have used and developed technology solutions, as an employee of Target Corporation, as a contract consultant for various companies, and then as a contract employee of the Minneapolis Public Schools.
In my personal life, I have researched and recorded the stories of my family and many other individuals and families. For the benefit of my own family, I will continue to publish the stories of our ancestors' lives.
For the next stage of my professional life — as part of my 2000-wk plan starting in 2017 — I have committed myself to continued research and publication, including great genealogy and immigration documentation projects.
Recent client research projects:
- an estranged ancestor with a very common name
- an ancestor born illegitimately
- some Finnish/Native ancestry
- both ancestral lines of a senior couple
- investigate timeline of births for select previous generation √
- the biological parents of an adoptee √
- an estranged father's WWII records and experiences √
Background and experience in genealogy and research:
- Genealogy research since 1978
- Finnish language self-study since 1979; taught "Beginning Finnish" in Minneapolis Community Education, early 1990s
- Recruited to be Curator of Finland 100 Genealogy Forum @ FinnFest USA 2017 Minneapolis, an all-day pre-festival event on Thu, 21 Sep 2017
- Researched the 66 2/3 Finnish nationals and Finnish-Americans on the RMS Titanic
- several presentations: 2008 - 2012
- full day Centennial event, Dassel MN, Apr 14, 2012
- Anticipating another Dassel event in April 2022
- Researching the 150th anniversary of the modern Finnish immigrant settlers to America 1864 - 1867
- Guiding development of Generations.io by Finnesota LLC
- Invited to be co-admin in FB group Scandinavian Genealogical Research Center [founded Apr 10, 2015; 6500 members on Apr 10, 2017!]
- Volunteered to be co-admin in FB group Finnish Genealogy [Apr 09, 2017]
- Launched Facebook page Genealogy.MN, Jul 11, 2017
- Pursuing the Certified Genealogist (CGSM) credential (as is commonly described: "on the clock")
- Member of the Finnish Genealogy Group (FGG) of Minnesota for the past few years and very pleased to present on a select topic each year
- Working with son Abram on new FGG website
- Recent member of APG (Nov 2017)
- Writer of "Modern Finnish Genealogy" column in the Finnish American Reporter newspaper, debut column: April 2017
- Writing comprehensive reference book of Finnish and related genealogy: Modern Finnish Genealogy
- Supported by generous 2017 grant from Finlandia Foundation National
- Anticipated completion in Winter 2017
- Pleased to support and participate in FinnSource community group planning and marketing
- Enjoyed watching episodes of "Heir Hunters" [styled in older episodes as H£IR HUNT£RS] on Netflix
Please see the EVENTS page for details on specific select upcoming planned and possible events.
Contact me on email anytime Greg Isola